April 06, 2015

A taxing problem

Took my return down to H&R Block. It's not that complicated this year, honestly - but on the other hand, I've never filed a state return at all, so I figured rather than try to pick it up I'd just get it prepared.

Imagine my surprise when they informed me that my company had thoughtfully filled out the W2 with information for Kansas instead of Hawaii. Not only does this mean they under-withheld pretty grossly (not something that particularly bothers me - doesn't change the amounts), but... they paid the money to Kansas too! H&R's reaction is basically "derp?". Gonna see if work can get it fixed so I don't have to file an extension.

Posted by: Avatar_exADV at 04:10 AM | Comments (1) | Add Comment
Post contains 118 words, total size 1 kb.

1 "they paid the money to Kansas too"
Oh, man, that's a mess.  I had that happen to me once.  Kansas won't care or even contact you that the company overpaid them, but you can bet Hawaii will come after you for it.  I hope HR gets it straightened out for you.
(In my case, I had an incompetent boss who didn't make any effort to fix it, and I got lucky because the statute of limitations had run out so the state that the money was actually owed to couldn't garnish my wages.)

Posted by: Rick C at April 11, 2015 08:58 AM (0a7VZ)

Hide Comments | Add Comment

What colour is a green orange?

12kb generated in CPU 0.0066, elapsed 0.0927 seconds.
32 queries taking 0.088 seconds, 52 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.